Friday, September 16, 2011

Day 258 September 16 Some Progress

I got an unexpected afternoon off today.  I'm only supposed to work a 40 hour week and despite a short day earlier in the week I was running two hours over for the week when I clocked in this morning. So they told me to leave early, like 2 pm instead of 5.  On a Friday.  That wasn't raining.  My momma didn't raise no fools.  Home I went.

Did I spend my bonus afternoon in fibery fun.  Actually no, my best friend came home from vacation Monday and handed me a copy of The Help, with the directions to read it and then we would go see the movie.  Now I don't usually read novels that lean toward what is generally accepted as literature.  It's not that I don't enjoy them, but my limited personal reading runs to sci-fi/fantasy, paranormal romance novels or what we used to call trashy paperbacks.  OK yes I read a lot of fiber related stuff too.  I've shown my studio bookcase on MKWorld Live in the past.

I'm enjoying this book.  It's told from the point of view of 3 different characters and the chapters are in the voice of one of them.  For those who don't know the novel, it takes place in 1962, in Jackson, Mississippi, and is told in the voices of two African American maids, and a young white socialite who came back from college without a husband and is trying to make a career for herself as a writer.  The project she decides to pursue is to write a tell all book about what it's really like to work as a black maid in the white homes of the South. I'm about a third of the way through it and actually passed on knitting to read several chapters today.

My fiber fun for the day was weaving in the ends of the Summit shawl.  Here are a couple of detail shots of it draped over the Silver Reed.  I will be wearing it to Midwest Festival of Fibers, aka Wool Gathering, tomorrow and hope to get pictures of it in the sunshine.



No comments:

Post a Comment