Monday, January 12, 2009

Movies

I am a book and movie junkie. My library of fiction is enormous, and I love sci fi/fantasy books and movies. The DVD collection is pretty large too. And movies make for great knitting time.

Clapotis continues to grow and I've discovered that I can get the book I'm reading His Dark Materials Omnibus, by Philip Pullman to lie flat so I can read and knit at the same time. This is the triology that starts with The Golden Compass. I saw the movie when it first came out and amused my companion with my "ooh that's Tom Tower and that's the Bodleian Libary and that's..." I really believe that all students should spend at least one term studying abroad and I went to Oxford while I was in college.

I don't know about anyone else but I'm always thrilled to see places that I've actually visited show up as settings in movies. I visited friends in Dunedin, New Zealand in November 2002. I hadn't seen The Fellowship of the Ring before leaving but several friends had commented on the beauty of NZ as the setting for Middle Earth. And they were right New Zealand is amazingly beautiful. I swear they filmed all over the entire country and I couldn't help visiting several locations over the course of the trip. But the thing that stuck in my mind was during The Two Towers, there is a scene that shows them looking up into the night sky. I had gone to see it with Barb and her husband right after I had come home. He asked if anything had looked familiar. I remember saying, "Yes that's exactly what the night sky looks like. There were so many stars and it was crystal clear. It was so amazing."

Off to do the long put off chores.

No comments:

Post a Comment