Thursday, January 4, 2018

My momma is gone

For most of my almost 54 years my mom has been there.  More than 54 years when you factor in the 9 months I spent under her heart.

This morning she did not wake up.  Sometime in the night she slipped the bonds that had trapped her in a mind rapidly fading from Alzheimer’s.  To my mind, she found God’s grace.  I last spoke to her late yesterday afternoon, while I was over to supervise some repair work on the house.  She was in bed, quasi-asleep as many people with late stage Alzheimer’s can be.  I called her name, she opened her eyes and smiled, although I was not sure if she recognized me.

She leaves behind her husband of 57 years, four children, six grandchildren and one great-grandson, with two more great grandchildren on the way.  It was a long life, for the most part a good life.





No comments:

Post a Comment